30-Minute Beef Stroganoff! Comforting, savory and made gluten/dairy-free with REAL ingredients!
One of the questions I get a lot is if my kids and husband eat gluten-free with me too. The answer is mostly yes – at home we are 100% gluten-free.
If we go out to eat sometimes my husband will get a burrito and I’ll get a salad or something to that effect. And my son has the occasional slice of Costco pizza or sandwich with Grandpa.
But at home we are totally gluten-free and I’d like to think they don’t even notice!
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1-1.5 lbs thinly-sliced steak or ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 small (or 1/2 a large) white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz thinly sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1/2 cup more beef broth)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the cashew cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup beef broth (or water) + 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or 1/2 cup sour cream)
- optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef in an even layer, season generously with salt and pepper and let cook without moving for 3-4 minutes to get a nice sear. Stir and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.Transfer to a plate. If using ground beef, spread the beef into an even layer then season with salt and pepper. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the beef and cook until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, and a little more butter if needed to the now empty pan. Cook on medium heat until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, another 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the cashew cream in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle the gluten-free flour over the onion/mushroom mixture and stir to cook for a minute or so to get rid of the raw flour flavor. Increase the heat and add the wine, stirring until smooth and scraping up the bottom of the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the wine is slightly reduced. Slowly add the beef broth, whisking/stirring until smooth and let simmer for 5 minutes or so. Stir in the cashew cream and heat through. Add the parsley and season to taste with salt/pepper.
- Serve over gluten-free egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!