These are too good! For this recipe potatoes are boiled and mashed then you toss in parmesan and mozzarella cheese and bake them until they're deliciously golden and fluffy. These are perfect for holiday parties and a fun change from the traditional mashed potatoes.
- 4 lbs yellow potatoes or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk, then more as desired
- 1 cup (2.6 oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water until potatoes are covered by an inch or two.
- Bring potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until very tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 - 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 30 - 60 seconds to remove harsh bite, set aside.
- Drain potatoes, return to pot and mash well or pass through a potato ricer or food mill.
- Add butter mixture to potatoes along with, milk, mozzarella, 3/4 cup parmesan, and 2 Tbsp parsley. Stir and thin with a little more milk if desired and season with salt to taste.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, spread into an even layer. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup parmesan over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, for better browning on top move closer to broiler and broil briefly (about 2 - 3 minutes.) during last few minutes of cooking.
- Garnish with 1/2 Tbsp parsley and serve warm.