Homemade roasted tomato basil soup with garlic, olive oil and caramelized onions. Delicious, flavorful and the best way to use up garden tomatoes! You'll never want to go back to the canned stuff after you try this.
Ingredients:For the roasted tomatoes:
- 3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the caramelized onions:
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Additions to the soup:
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Optional add ins:
- Light/Regular coconut milk for a creamy vegan soup
- Whole dairy milk/heavy cream for a creamy texture
- Parmesan cheese, for a tangy, flavor enhancing flavor
- A tablespoon or two of butter, for richer flavor
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, you can make the caramelized onions: Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat.
- Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color.
- This ususally takes 20 minutes.
- Get full recipe==>>ambitiouskitchen.com